Built by the McNaught Land Co. as an office building, The Majestic, formerly known as the McNaught Building, has had a colorful history dating back to 1890.
Over a century ago, when the city of Anacortes lost out on its dream of becoming a major railroad terminus, the business district shifted from the west end of the city to Commercial Avenue. The McNaught building was then dragged atop logs pulled by horses to its present location in 1904. Later, it was converted to a retail store called Anacortes Mercantile Company, which was touted as the largest store in Skagit County back then.
Decades later, condemned and slated to be torn down, the building was saved in 1983 and operated as a hotel until January of 2001. A fire broke out, blamed on a cat that knocked over a space heater in the third-floor library, the night before it was due to be sold to new owners. Although that sale never went though, it was purchased by a group of local investors in 2003 who did the bulk of the renovation work, then sold to another group, Regal Hospitality, who then invested additional $4 million or so and opened the hotel as the Majestic Inn and Spa.
Today, the hotel is owned and managed by VIP Hospitality, a hotel management and development company with multiple hotels on the Central Oregon Coast and Anacortes. Due to the recent renewed success of the Majestic, in 2013, a new addition was added next door to the historic building. The new building has more than doubled the number of rooms in the hotel and includes a rooftop bar and ballroom.